ABOUT FSTVNetwork Background: Operating in its 28th year, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable multiracial democracy. Powered by our viewers, FSTV amplifies the voices not heard on the corporate networks and lifts up the efforts of everyday people working on the front lines of racial, economic, and environmental justice. The team at FSTV believes a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling. Free Speech TV airs 24/7 with daily news programs like Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program, with weekly current affairs series like Gay USA and Economic Update, with award-winning documentaries, and with special coverage of events and movements like Netroots Nation, Bioneers and the Poor People’s Campaign. FSTV reaches 30 million US homes via DISH, DIRECTV, local cable affiliates, Sling TV, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire/Alexa, iOS app, social media and www.freespeech.org. Position Summary: Free Speech TV seeks a values-aligned and experienced programming/acquisition coordinator to help acquire, develop and curate the content in support of FSTV’s vision of informing, educating and mobilizing viewers to build a better world. As a Denver, CO-based team member of the FSTV Content Team, the Programming & Content Acquisition Coordinator will work closely with the network’s producers, program hosts, distribution platforms, and movement organizers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Researching the social justice programming marketplace, exploring programming partnerships, and evaluating long- and short-form content that reflects FSTV’s mission and values.
- Cultivating relationships with content contributors, distributors and filmmakers and representing FSTV with integrity, respect and the highest standards in developing those relationships.
- Maintaining a database of contacts and programs, while monitoring program rights, requirements, payments and licensing agreement dates.
- Producing written analyses (coverage) of reviewed programs and recommending acquisitions to the Program Director and Content Team.
- Drafting and negotiating license agreements.
- Writing content descriptions for multiple platforms and defining tagging metadata.
- Working with the content team to develop program launch strategies.
- Reviewing submitted media files for quality control.
- Assist in Ingesting, transcoding and formatting incoming media;Ensuring the timely electronic delivery of media to master control and digital platforms.
- Assist in support of recorded and special live events, both virtual and in-person, for broadcast and digital distribution.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Program Director.
AttributesThe Acquisitions Coordinator position requires the abilities, leadership, willingness, drive and initiative to:
- Manage content partners and cross-departmental projects with the ability to work collaboratively.
- Complete all tasks accurately and on time with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills — ability to interact well, collaborate and support
- Remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges while at times working in a high tempo environment
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively.
- Work extended hours for special events.
Preferred Professional and Personal QualificationsThe ideal candidate for the Content Coordinator position will offer:
- 3 to 5 years of experience along with a nuanced understanding of journalism, storytelling, political/strategic communications and audience engagement across demographics, ideology and lived experience.
- Personal commitment to FSTV’s values and its vision of a multiracial democracy.
- A deep understanding of the intersectionality of social, racial, economic, and environmental justice issues, and a passion for the network’s movement-building mission.
- Familiarity and a network of social justice organizations, movements and progressive content creators.
- A minimum of 2 years working in a social media environment with an understanding of how progressive issues, activism, and digital media intersect on social media platforms, particularly video streaming platforms.
- Experience with GoogleDocs with a view to managing lists and schedules.
- Basic familiarity of production and post-production processes in a broadcast or digital environment preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Planning and organization skills, with ability to manage multiple projects, to respond quickly to emerging opportunities, and to meet deadlines consistently.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and good judgment.
- Strong work ethic, demonstrating personal initiative, responsibility, and a commitment to results.
- Collegiality and a good sense of humor, employing a welcoming, collaborative approach and a strong team-oriented style.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Ability to travel as needed (post-Covid).