2013-06-14 08:30:00

Rescuing My Deported Aunt from a Hole in the Tijuana Canals

Editor’s Note: When he saw
his aunt profiled on a
Spanish-language TV news special on ñongos -- underground encampments of the
deported and homeless built in the canals of the U.S.-Mexico border - Yaveth
Gomez knew he had to go save her. The family piled into a car, drove down to
the border, and pulled her out of a hole in the ground -- literally.

We took Interstate 5 South on a
mission to rescue my tía
After 30 years in the United States, she was deported three years ago to
Tijuana, the bottom of California - el culo del diablo
. We hadn’t heard from her since.

It was because of the Mexican TV news program, Televisa, that we were able to
find her.

A reporter for Televisa,
Vanessa Job, did a report on the ñongos
-- undergound bunkers in the canals of the Tijuana border, where camps
of deported and homeless people are living in subhuman conditions. The term
ñongo has several definitions in Spanish, including being in a dificult
situation. Growing up, I knew the term to mean a knot -- a tight spot,
between a rock and a hard place.

Televisa interviewed my aunt in March 2013. A
month later, after stumbling upon a rerun of the program, my aunt’s
sister-in-law contacted Martha’s oldest son Lupe to show him where his mother

I was at home in Tracy, Calif., when my dad called me to tell me that they had
seen a video of my aunt Martha in Tijuana. He told me to go on the computer and
look at the YouTube video, and find out where exactly she was. As I watched the
video, I was delirious. The pixilated digital image of my aunt on the laptop
screen wasn't the same as when I saw her in the flesh. Watching footage of my
aunt living in those bunkers felt like watching a tragic movie. Our family
contacted the reporter, who found my tía
, and they followed us as we traveled south from the Central Valley to
find her.

José, Martha’s older brother, rented a Ford Flex and the group of sons,
brothers and sisters piled in, ready to get Martha back to safety.

We started from Tracy and went through the fields of the Central Valley where
my family first worked in this country, down to Southern California’s coast,
and into Tijuana, Mexico.

By the time we arrived, it was still hard to believe Martha, my aunt -- who
watched me grow up, who’s children all were born in the United States and came
to my birthday parties -- ended up in a ñongo
in Tijuana. The makeshift bunkers were built by the
community living along the Tijuana canal of the border between Mexico and the
United States. The canal is a long bed of cement about a football field wide.
The ñongos
stretch about half a
football field long. The way they are all cobbled together in dirt mounds along
the edge of the cement canal was a testament to the human spirit of survival,
like a hobo version of Atlantis.

All of Martha’s belongings -- including her cell phone containing her family's
numbers and her legal papers -- were destroyed in the ñongos
. So she was a person with no money, no home, no
identification or documents, and no contact with any family members in a
strange city on the other side of the border. Eventually, she joined the
community of ñongeros
who were
facing similar problems. This homeless immigrant refugee community attracted
the attention of Televisa in Mexico City due to the rising problem of
deportees in the city of Tijuana.

When we found her, Martha was, as her son put it, one step above her grave. She
was about a meter deep underground, hiding in the only bunker that was left
after they were burned down by the Tijuana Municipal Police.

The reporters followed my 21-year-old cousin Junior as he pulled his mom out of the
hole and into the daylight like a groundhog. Her eyes gleamed, standing out
from her sun-crisped skin. She stood at about 5’1”. I could have sworn she was
a lot taller, but I was just a kid when I last saw her. Her cheekbones showed
profusely as if she were just a skeleton of my tía
. She had nubs for fingers, without nails. But I was
happy to see her alive and I was focused on baby steps to get her out of her
predicament. We got my aunt out of the hole and took her to eat.

My tía
was so happy that day,
just as I always remembered her. We ate tacos and chit-chatted about life there.
She told me that a couple of days ago she had seen her friend murdered in cold
blood right before her eyes. She told me she missed us all and wanted
to go back to the States. I did not know what to tell her. I knew she would not
be able to go back. I consoled myself knowing at least she would not have to go
back to the ñongos

She is now living with family
in Mexico, recuperating.  Her children are making plans to go visit her.

Later, when I was back home in Tracy, I watched the news with the footage of my
father, my tía
and my cousins. I
thought, ‘What a beautiful thing we did, to go over there and reunite with our
family member.’ But I also thought, ‘What about all those people who still need
to be rescued?’

have families. It just
so happened that my tía
had a
family that saw her on TV.



Proud Partners